“Long hitters may take on the 245 yard carry over the two bunkers that are partly hidden on the left side, but the percentage play is to aim away from them to the centre right of the fairway. The approach will be blind but the marker post at the back is a good line wherever you are – be sure to err by taking too much club rather than too little to this sunken green as it has a swale at the front to catch short shots that presents a testing up and down.”
Named due to the punch bowl shape of the green. Originally played as the 4th hole the hole was created in 1897 by Charles Gibson when the course was extended to 18 holes after the lords of the manor offered to lease the whole of the warren to the Club in 1896 enabling them to extend the course as far as the church.
Before taking on its sharp dogleg shape when the course was nine holes this hole was played to what is now the 15th green which was the far extent of the original nine hole course.